This copyright policy sets out how users are permitted to use our content and forms part of our terms and conditions. We reserve the right to change our copyright policy from time to time by publishing an updated policy on Syntoniq.com, which shall become effective and replace any previous policy with effect from publication. This version of the copyright policy was published on Jan 1, 2017.
What is copyright?
Copyright law gives the copyright owner the exclusive right to control the use of copyright protected works. All of the material published on our website and other digital/wireless platforms is protected by copyright law and should only be used as set out in the “How may I use Syntoniq content?” section below. Use that is made without our permission may therefore infringe our copyright which can result in personal and corporate liability. Where we state below that something is not allowed or permitted, to do so is a breach of our terms and conditions i.e. is a breach of contract, and may also violate copyright law.
How may I use Syntoniq content?
You may do the following:
- View our content for your personal use on any device that is compatible with Syntoniq.com (this might be your PC, laptop, smartphone, tablet or other mobile device) and store our content on that device for your personal use;
- Print single copies of articles on paper for your personal use;
- Share links to articles by using the article tools we make available at the foot of each article.
How may I republish or redistribute Syntoniq content?
Except as set out above, you may not copy Syntoniq content from Syntoniq.com and you may not republish or redistribute full text articles, for example by pasting them into emails or republishing them in any media, including websites, newsletters or intranets.
Am I allowed to copy or summarize limited parts of Syntoniq full text content?
As specified above you may not republish or redistribute full text articles. You may however republish or redistribute ”Summaries” of Syntoniq content if you comply with the conditions set out below. “Summaries” can be either an “extract” or an “abstract”. By “extract” we mean 30 words copied verbatim from a Syntoniq article which is inserted into a longer original work. By “abstract” we mean a 30 word non-verbatim summary of the news or facts reported in a Syntoniq article which does not form part of a longer work and does not misrepresent the original Syntoniq article.
These are the conditions you must comply with in order to produce summaries:
- You source Syntoniq as the author of any article from which you have derived a summary by way of an attribution such as “according to Syntoniq”, with a hypertext link from the word “Syntoniq” to the original story published on Syntoniq.com;
- in the case of abstracts, you make clear that the abstract has been produced by you by stating “this abstract from Syntoniq was produced by [name]”, with a hypertext link from the word “Syntoniq” to the original story published on Syntoniq.com;
- you ensure that your summaries do not in whole or in part form a Substitute for Syntoniq’s own products and services. The more summaries you create the greater the risk of substitution. No individual or organization may create, republish or redistribute more than ten summaries in aggregate each month, each one sourced from a different Syntoniq article that is published within the same month you create the summary;
- you do not use or create summaries that promote or endorse any product or service; and
- if Syntoniq notifies you that it believes you are creating, republishing or redistributing summaries outside of these parameters, you shall immediately cease doing so and your rights to create summaries shall be regarded as having been withdrawn, unless/until Syntoniq reaches an agreement with you regarding your use of our articles or content.
Please note that these rights do not extend to content, data or other material published by Syntoniq that we license from third parties which you may not republish or redistribute.
How am I allowed to link to Syntoniq content?
If you would like to link to Syntoniq.com, please read and comply with the following guidelines and all applicable laws. A site or service that links to Syntoniq.com:
- May display a Syntoniq logo to indicate the source of the link, but must not otherwise use any Syntoniq trademarks without permission from Syntoniq;
- Must not remove, distort or otherwise alter the size or appearance of the Syntoniq logo;
- May link to the homepage of Syntoniq.com, and, provided that you comply with this copyright policy, may also link to other pages of Syntoniq.com;
- Must not be a Substitute;
- Must not in any way imply that Syntoniq is endorsing it or its products or services;
- Must not misrepresent its relationship with Syntoniq or present false information about Syntoniq;
- Must not be a site or service that infringes any intellectual property or other right of any person or that otherwise does not comply with all relevant laws and regulations; and
- Must not be a site or service that contains content that could be construed as distasteful or offensive.
What am I not permitted to do with Syntoniq content?
You cannot do anything other than make use of the content as set out above, and by way of example only, this means that you cannot:
- If you are a registered user or subscriber, share your user name and password (which includes PINs) with anyone else. A password is for one person’s use. Sharing a password means a copy of our content may subsequently be made by someone who is not authorized to do so. Password sharing is a breach of our terms and conditions and is likely to result in an infringement of copyright. We monitor usage to detect password sharing.
- Copy, publish or redistribute full text articles, photographs, graphics, tables or images in any way.
- Create derivative works from our content, unless you are creating summaries as described above.
- Photocopy or scan copies of articles.
- Remove the copyright or trade mark notice from any copies of Syntoniq content.
- Create a database in electronic or structured manual from by systematically and/or regularly downloading, caching, printing and storing all or any Syntoniq content.
- Frame, harvest or scrape Syntoniq content or otherwise access Syntoniq content for similar purposes.
- Use or attempt to use Syntoniq content outside the parameters we set depending on what subscription you have.
If you have any questions regarding the Copyright policy, please email us at email@example.com.